Thursday, July 14, 2011

Wicked Night


Last night, I saw Wicked. Yes, this does indeed deserve a second mention. I haven't seen a Broadway production like in years. The last time I was wowed this much by anything other then an opera was when I saw The Phantom of the Opera when I was 8. I learned the whole production (London Cast), word for word, note for note and dreamed that I would be the worlds first female to play "the phantom". I've seen so many over Broadway productions but none moved me as Phantom did and now Wicked.

Watching it you would be attracted to the melodies, the costumes, the smart writing, the wonderful acting and the full theater production spilling out in front of you. With a bit of attention you will see that it is a story laced with lesson and opinion. The line between what defines good and evil isn't black and white, it's grey. It has to do with our perception of the facts and getting the whole story. The people who you thought were evil actually only had good intentions and unpopular ideas. The ones who you think to be good are really just weak minded and dishonest with themselves and those around them. Wicked navigates the politics of race, it represents a remarkably appealing girl protagonist, and how it interpolates its audience through old conventions to tell a new and progressive story.



Are people born Wicked? Or do they have Wickedness thrust upon them?
-Galinda (the "Gaa" is silent) the good witch

No comments: