I'm sitting here listening to the CBC One on the radio and they just did a interview with Ridley Bent, a musician I once saw open for another band. He had a very particular style that I can't honestly say I never really warmed up to. Self described as "Hick Hop" he was hard core country roots with with a little Vanilla Ice mixed it. It was interesting but I give him respects for being who he was back then because that must have been REALLY awkward. He has since however moved to his more natural roots of good ol' fashion country music. He was performing a song called "Cry" which of course had to do with "that feeling you have the day after a break-up". Very Country music stereotype. And then I got hungry.
All my life I've made the drive with either my parents of friends out to Vancouver stopping along the way at pit stops in small towns. The Huskey gas station in Golden, BC for Grilled cheese Sandwiches and jell-o, that ice cream place with the petting zoo and The Ol' Frontier in Revelstoke for Cinnamon buns. The Ol' Frontier was my favorite, even though it wasn't a classy joint and the cinnamon had raisins they always came hot and sticky from the kitchen. Not to sweet like those ones you get in the mall and definitely homemade by someones mother. Back then people could still smoke in just about any restaurant so the air was always a bit hazy regardless of if you were sitting in the smoking section or not. They always played country music in the background, the real stuff that most people can't stomach unless they grew up with it. This became such a tradition that I can't not hear a country song these days with out getting a craving for a warm from the oven homemade cinnamon bun even if they did have raisins.
No comments:
Post a Comment