Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Paint Your Wagon and Come Along

I had my first encounter of the Spaghetti Western kind when I saw the opera Don Pasquale with my dad many years ago. The original production was just intended to be a comedy however leave it to Calgary to put a Western flare to the Italian 1843 version of a sitcom. It was delightful and it was the one and only time that people were actually requested to wear jeans and Stampede get-up to a night at the opera. Of course, this being Calgary, I've seen people wear denim to a funeral- and have it be OK.

Last week as I've mentioned in a previous post that I had gone to see Inglourious Basterds, which is a self described Spaghetti Western that pays homage to WWII. Quentin Tarantino seems to favor this sort of style, it seems to add just the right amount of lightness to off set his blood shed.

Clint Eastwood's name is linked to many of the favorites:
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
and of course you can't forget Paint Your Wagon (1969)- my personal favorite.

I don't know if you have seen it, if you haven't- you have to. Take it with a grain of salt because it was nominated for the Golden Globe Award of Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy. I mean where else can you find Clint Eastwood singing while dressed in pink western wear playing a character called Pardner to a woman who says "if a Mormon man can have two wives, a woman can have two husbands".


It's Clint like you've never seen him. Except maybe in The Bridges of Madison County.
I'm woman enough to admit I like LOVE Paint Your Wagon just as I am not ashamed to say I listen to the soundtrack. Often.
I was born under a wanderin' star.
Wheels are made for rollin', mules are made to pack.
I've never seen a site that didn't look better lookin' back.
I was born under a wanderin' star.
Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.
I was born under a wanderin' star.
Do I know where hell is, hell is in hell-o.
Heaven is good-bye forever it's time for me to go.
I was born under a wanderin' star, a wanderin', wanderin' star.
Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.
I was born under a wanderin' star.I was born under a wanderin' star.
When I get to heaven tie me to a tree.
Or I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be.
I was born under a wanderin' star.
A wanderin', wanderin' star.
Maybe I should go as Clint for Halloween this year...

No comments: